Author Topic: I/O settings for paddle  (Read 205 times)

VA2EBI

• View Profile
    • Email
I/O settings for paddle
« on: 2024-06-26, 20:12:39 »
I have been using two RRC1258's and two FTDX5000's in Yaesu Twin config for five years.  I am not satisfied with the CW generated by the RRC.  What are the optimal I/O settings?  I currently have the folowing I/O settings at the Control radio:

IN0           I/O
OUT0        Keyer
OUT1        Keyer
OUT2        Keyer
USB RTS   COM1
USB DTR   COM2

At the Remote radio:

OUT0 Mode     Keyer
OUT0 on/fff     Off

OUT1 Mode     Keyer
OUT1 on/off    Off

OUT2 Mode     Keyer
OUT2 on/off    Off

I have a speaker in parallel with the SP output of the Control RRC.  With my FTDX5000 off, I can generate excellent CW with my Begali paddle.  When I actually key the radio, I am not totally satisfied with the quality of the CW sent over the air.  Stations copy it well enough, but it is sometimes described as "choppy" or--my term--"sloppy"  My question is:  What are the recommended settings for your RRC at the Control and Remote sites?  I use N1MM+ logger with Winkey checked, but that is not a RRC-related setting.  Just curious what settings I might want to change for improved transmitted CW.

George VA2EBI

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: I/O settings for paddle
« Reply #1 on: 2024-06-28, 09:41:02 »
Hi
It's not the I/O settings which is important it's the Keyer settings. Keyer should be activate, and the most important setting is "Key delay" which set the buffering before the CW is sent. It should be set to minium 50 ms if you work over the internet. If you still get garbled keying it's because of Internet Jitter and you need to increase the Key delay setting even more

73 de mike

VA2EBI

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2024-06-29, 20:45:38 »
Finally, a reply!  Thanks, Mike.  I currently have Lf delay 60 ms and Key delay 60 ms.  I don't know which of these to experiment with first.  I am fortunate to have a good internet connection with very low latency and jitter.  Is there a way to test the connection, or is experimenting with various settings the way to start?

George VA2EBI

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2024-07-01, 07:41:58 »
Hi
LF delay only mutes sidetone from the radio, if you can turn off sidetone in the radio you don't need it. For the "Key delay" is no otherway than testing to increase it, no measurements

73 de mike